Chemical Lab Engineer
The selected individual will be responsible for assuring quality on all plastics, polyurethane, metals or other substrate coated materials and provide technical support to manufacturing and other departments. Primary goals will be to plan and execute lab responsibilities, including new model, component, and lab projects for chemical and paint processes, disposal and processing. This person will define, generate and maintain test procedures, test documentation and resource creation. Will work with a high degree of teamwork and may provide direct or indirect supervision to others in the accomplishment of accountabilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establish and maintain a paint lab and perform evaluation testing to ensure reliability of manufacturing processes, materials and regulatory compliances, as applicable (CSA/UL, etc)
- Perform and manage materials (paint, polyurethane, color, films, tapes, Polyol, refrigerant,) testing according to ASTM, RoHS, and internal standards, prepare test documentation and knowledgeable in technical codes and regulatory areas. Participate on DVR revisions as a backup board member of the Materials Engineer.
- Document and train quality and manufacturing personnel on paint/finish processes, applications, handling, rework and quality acceptance criteria.
- Participates in problem-solving activities related to materials and analytical sciences as required
- Interface with outside laboratories for analytical support and/or develop innovative analytical methods for testing and validation of chemical and paint coatings
- Work with design and manufacturing engineering to qualify new product/processes, problem-solving.
- May direct, manage and lead the activities of inspectors and technicians in the consistent application of discipline and control resources, processes and ensure adherence to company policies
- Participates as a leader/team member of EMS initiatives and projects on multi-disciplinary teams for corrective and preventive action.
- Implement and deploy departmental process control plans, PFMEA’s and establish statistical process control and methods to monitor critical to quality processes
- Lead and participate in projects on Key Business drivers and cost reduction programs as well as quality improvement teams based on NRFT, SCR, RTY, scrap results and customer inputs
- Responsible of Quality system, ISO 9000, corrective actions and internal quality audits in his / her control area.
- Monitor and audit bulk Foam area critical characteristics as defined in process control plan to ensure foam quality.
- May perform additional duties as assigned
- BS Engineering or equivalent (Chemical, Industrial or Electronic)
- 3 years minimum experience in the Quality/Manufacturing profession with directly related experience working with Polyurethanes, Extrusion and thermoforming process, prepainted steel, Stainless Steel, injection molding, Bulk foam, Refrigerants, powder coating and/or electrostatic paint systems, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to write reports and procedure manuals, as well as to effectively present information
- Ability to effectively utilize application software, word processing, spreadsheets and specialized application software packages (ie, Minitab)
- Excellent communication skills and teamwork oriented as well as strong analytical and quantitative skills.
- Availability to travel up to 20% of time (possible).
- English skills 70% desirable, basic knowledge minimum.
- Preferred Appliance Experience (Laundry and/or Refrigeration) and past supervisory experience a plus.
- Basic ISO 9000 knowledge