The Manufacturing Project Engineer is responsible for developing and implementing optimal, cost-effective manufacturing processes and methods in accordance with product specifications and quality standards of the department as well as ownership and up equipment up time. Recommends and implements improvements to production processes, cycle times, methods and controls. Coordinates manufacturing launch for new or revised products. Oversees automated equipment installation, maintenance and upkeep. Machinery to include mechanical and electric plastic molding presses, metal stamping presses, robotic equipment, vacuum material handling systems and auxiliary equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares specifications and quotations for labor, tooling and equipment to support the business unit requirements.
- Participates in concurrent engineering design reviews and evaluates and approves drawings, routings, specifications and other documents.
- Designs and procures tools/equipment and writes appropriation requests as well as IR’s.
- Evaluates and solves production problems associated with equipment, maintenance, and/or manufacturing methods. Implements root cause analysis and engages manufacturing associates and maintenance technicians in problem solving methods.
- Performs equipment maintenance on a daily basis and conducts training to introduce new processes.
- Troubleshoot equipment breakdowns and support maintenance and process engineers/technicians.
- Ability to work directly with manufacturing and maintenance associates for problem solving, buy-in and support of new processes. Prior management of manufacturing maintenance personnel required.
- Must have knowledge of TPM systems and general maintenance and safety policies and procedures as they relate to a heavy manufacturing environment.
- Significant experience in CAPEX, AP, Budget preparation.
- Technical skills in manufacturing processes and methods including flow, layout, production equipment and tooling specification and capital improvement costing and proposals.
- Computer proficiency required.
- The ability to organize and manage multiple priorities with experience in problem (root cause) analysis and problem resolution skills.
- English written and spoken 90%
- Process and equipment transference.
- Ability to work with equipment suppliers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Experience in automated plastic injection and metal stamping equipment, Knowledge of robot parts transfer systems and associated programming and ability to troubleshoot equipment is required.
- Knowledge of tooling requirements for steel cutting, mechanical power presses, as well as the ability to read and interpret technical drawings, schematics and blueprints required.
- Experience in development/ identification of spare parts list for new or refurbished equipment.
- Significant experience and understanding of pneumatic, hydraulics and motor controls in a continuous process system.
- Ability to lead maintenance technicians in area of responsibility and work closely with engineers in other departments to solve problems and continuously improve processes, reduce scrap and improve cycle times of equipment.