Senior Development Engineer- Ice and Water
Location: Anderson, SC
Support Electrolux Ice and Water development targets for domestic refrigeration appliances by proposing new designs/solutions, and work with internal and external resources (e.g. Suppliers, service technicians, etc.). Support the development of the Technology Road Map (TRM) for Ice and Water systems and components.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform engineering duties in all stages of product lifecycle including scoping, planning, designing, and developing parts/components and module interfaces for ice and water systems.
- Use Computer Aided Design (CAD) software CATIA v5 to design plastic injection parts, metal forming parts, extruded parts, and perform concept development of the components and assembly generation in 3D.
- Read and interpret blueprints/technical drawings to perform manufacturing reviews of the plastic and sheet metal parts for refrigerators.
Work with industrial design group to generate engineering and aesthetic specifications for refrigerator parts with fit, feel, and finish requirements.
- Evaluate technical designs for refrigerator assemblies and interacting parts and perform cost analysis.
- Follow standard engineering workflow with process capability, tolerance stack up, milestone management, and line trial activities.
- Perform Design for Assembly (DFA) and Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (DFMEA) to investigate design failures and recommend remedial actions/modifications.
- Participation in product safety and review analyses; confer with engineers and other cross-functional personnel to resolve systems malfunctions/ provide technical information.
- Develop solutions for refrigerator component design projects using Six Sigma methodology, including initial scoping, concept design and verification, design validation, and development of value engineering plans through product launch.
- Develop and test alternate designs/engineering methods to assess feasibility, sustainability, potential new applications, or necessity of modification.
- Research and prescribe optimized materials and manufacturing processes for given components and sub-systems to develop and coordinate production activities, including integrating outside industry best practices and manufacturing innovation into the development.
- Investigate, analyze, and research field quality issues (SCR) and determine solutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- A minimum 5 years work experience in the refrigeration appliance industry in ice and water systems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Solid knowledge of product development processes.
- Experience with the design/development, application and manufacturing of electro-mechanical type components or systems.
- Experience with injection molded, blow molded and thermal formed part design and manufacturing.
- Experience with stamped or cast metal part design and manufacturing.
- Exhibits appropriate professional behavior including positive attitude, sense of urgency, independent judgment, teamwork, creative thinking and personal integrity to achieve department/corporate goals and objectives.
- Experience with Microsoft computer applications.
- Experience with design software.
- Highly motivated individual that has a strong drive for results; communicates effectively both in written and verbal communication formats.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience with Catia design software.
- Experience with refrigeration systems, consumer goods, and/ or appliance industry is a plus
- 6 sigma Green Belt, Black Belt, or CQE is a plus.
- Knowledge of statistical problem solving and improvement techniques (8D & A3) is a plus.