Supplier Development Engineer
Purchasing & Sourcing
Charlotte, North Carolina
Electrolux Purchasing North America is on a journey to develop best-in-class suppliers as we grow our focus on value-based sourcing and early supplier engagement. The objective of Supplier Development is to drive strategic suppliers in making long-lasting improvements in their performance in terms of quality, process efficiency and flexibility, organizational structure and operational alignment with Electrolux cross-functional teams. The Supplier Development Engineer will also ensure supplier preparations and readiness for relevant new business or new technology by assessing the strategic supplier’s capabilities and capacity to be able to meet requirements for performance, quality, cost, and delivery. This may include Design for Manufacturability (DFM) reviews of components and making internal and external recommendations to Product Design to improve manufacturing processes for quality, yield and cost as well as to shorten the product development cycle. The Supplier Development Engineer is expected to have had its first operational experience in a manufacturing environment and has acquired a good knowledge of manufacturing excellence tools and techniques, with sufficient knowledge in quality and material flow.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the evaluation and Pre-diagnostic meeting to drive opportunities for improvement
- Use supplier development tools like, Process mapping, Value Stream
mapping, etc. to identify improvement areas.
- Check data availability and consistency
- Define priorities for the different improvement areas
- Define with Electrolux management and suppliers KPI and targets to achieve
- Support supplier lean program and force their team implementation.
- Support and force cultural change at
- Screening of the different supplier processes/areas
- Define Action plan with the supplier including targets, Timing, and responsibilities for each action
- Establish regular workshops with suppliers.
- Define with the team the workshop agenda and timing.
- Work cross-functionally with Purchasing, R&D, Quality, Materials and Manufacturing to determine if their participation or support is needed for special topics and ensure their participation.
- Lead supplier development workshops and the team.
- Follow up action plan established
betweenElectrolux and supplier regularly.
- Verify regularly data consistency.
- Ensure timing agreed in the action plan
- Escalate blockings in case needed.
- Monthly reporting about actions, progress and KPI status
- Establish professional work situation with suppliers and relevant stakeholders
- Aim for automatization of processes and implementation of advanced technologies, where possible.
- Understand, communicate and work
withinElectrolux methodologies and policies. This includes the Electrolux Manufacturing System (EMS), a lean manufacturing and continuous improvement system.
- Prepare necessary presentations as required.
- Other ad hoc continuous improvement projects as assigned by manager
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent technical degree.
- 5 years relevant experience in manufacturing, manufacturing engineering, logistics or quality
- Minimum of 2 years in Lean Manufacturing including activities/principles such as: Application of Value Stream mapping, OEE, 5S, SMED, labor productivity, unit output/hour (UPH), Design for Manufacturing / Assembly (DFM / DFA), tooling optimization to reduce waste and improve output, automation of processes and implementation of advanced technologies, etc.
- Experience & knowledge of various quality standards and tools (processes and systems such as PPAP, SPC, MSA, APQP, PFD, PCP, PFMEA, 8D, 5why, ISO TS 16949, IMDS, PDCA, etc.)
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Supplier Development
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Project Management
- Certified Quality Auditor (CQA)
- Certified Quality Engineer (CQE)
- Six Sigma Greenbelt or Black-Belt
- Value Analysis/Value Engineering (VA/VE) experience
- Demonstrated record of overseeing yield improvements and cycle time reductions for high volume, high complexity parts
- Knowledge of cost modeling
- Change management experience
- Knowledge of logistics continuous improvement activities including value stream mapping, freight aggregation, and consolidation, packaging optimization including
useof returnable packaging, material flow & handling, etc.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and the ability to influence, negotiate and develop relationships at all levels of an organization
- Self-Starter with ability to drive improvement, meet timelines and objectives
- Result driven and action-oriented, self-motivated & able to act independently as needed
- High attention to detail including proven ability to manage multiple,
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills and ability to use hard data and metrics to back up recommendations and develop business cases
- Comprehensive knowledge of problem-solving philosophies in support of operations, cost improvement initiates, new product development or business processes.
- Ability to travel 50%-75%, both domestic and international.
- Powerpoint & Excel