Core Technologies Engineer - Metal Stamping
El Paso, Tx
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the implementation of best in class metal stamping tool dies, standardized and optimized solutions for the industrialization of metal stamped and formed components for household appliances, with high attention to product quality and manufacturing cost.
- Perform the manufacturability analysis of New Products in the area of competence, identifying part criticalities, and interpreting results of manufacturability simulations.
- Support manufacturing engineering projects making sure parts are 100 % manufactural in a metal stamping process developing metal formability study (Metal forming simulation) on each new component.
- Interact with R & D department based on simulations result and provide a sheet metal metallurgy study to ensure the best material selection on the finish part within company manufacturing plants located in Anderson, SC, Springfield, TN and Juarez, MX.
- Responsible for guaranteeing quality tools fabrication and low cost making sure every tool shop uses high tool fabrication technologies as a CAD-Cam & CNC (Computer Numerical Control) on their process to provide precision tooling.
- Responsible for the introduction and launch of new metal component part into production environment. Use experience in design of tooling transfer arms to ensure safe and best Tooling performance on a transfer tools.
- Responsible for organizing and managing tool design review to approve tool fabrication with tooling group & final stamper for each new tooling fabrication using 2D & CATIA 3D CAD software.
- Responsible for coordinating tool modifications per engineering changes notice (ECN). Areas of competence: metal stamping tooling, metal stamping presses and related automation. Act as regional reference person for implementation and industrialization of metal components, as the role of Project Leader. Interpret results from Auto Form metal forming simulation tool.
- Analyze productive capacity of metal stamping inside the factories and identify
areas for efficiency improvement
Perform cost calculations for the production of metal parts.
- Prepare technical specifications for tooling, including safety and environmental requirements. Use metal stamping tooling bases & die making, tooling design fundamentals, metal forming development, components tooling design & fabrication processes knowledge.
- Perform Business Case Analysis and Investment Requests. Interface with equipment manufacturers and technical purchasing (CAPEX) during the complete acquisition and development process of new tooling and equipment.
- Responsible for processing stainless (brushed), pre-painted sheet metal material, with or without protective film, to achieve highly aesthetic parts without compromising quality and manufacturability.
- Prepare required documentation for supplier tender and Sourcing Board decision.
- Supervise tooling and equipment installation in cooperation with Plant Manufacturing Engineering.
- Perform root cause analysis to prevent, correct and improve.
- Responsible for implementing improvements for dies and stamping processing tools.
- Responsible for creating the raw material specification sheet for each part number based on material mechanical properties.
- Provide support to quality department, setting up special tool trials for capacity studies. Report progress of each tool every week to NA Global Manufacturing Management.
- Lay out, calculate tonnage requirements and estimate tool sizes and die types.
- Supervise manufacturing part of the product introduction process from concept design to production launch.
- Requires up to 50%, domestic and international travel as needed to support NA manufacturing worksites sites in Anderson, SC, Springfield, TN and Juarez, MX and various unanticipated locations.
- Candidate must have a Bachelor’s or foreign equivalent degree (if no Bachelor’s will accept one year of relevant work experience for each year not completed toward a Bachelor’s degree) in Mechanical Engineering or engineering field and three years’ experience within metal fabrication processes - sheet metal processing and forming, soft tool processes (CNC programmed equipment), hard tool processes (stamping presses and dies), automated forming lines; experience in metal forming tooling design and construction techniques including progressive or transfer stamping tools to produce highly aesthetic appliance components; experience processing stainless (brushed), pre-painted sheet metal material, with or without protective film, to achieve highly aesthetic parts without compromising quality and manufacturability; experience in design of transfer arms to support safe and quality process with dedicated transfer tool; experience interpreting results from Auto Form metal forming simulation tool; experience operating Solid Works or Catia 3D software to review 3D models. Position offers the opportunity to work from home-based location in Anderson, SC, Springfield, TN or El Paso countyTX to support manufacturing sites. Requires up to 50%, domestic and international travel as needed to support NA manufacturing worksites in Anderson, SC, Springfield, TN and Juarez, MX and various unanticipated locations.