Design Lead, Prototyping
Design Lead, Prototyping
Shape living for the better. At global scale.
For us going to work every day has an even greater purpose than putting the latest product or technology on the market. It’s about improving the everyday lives of millions. By staying humble and open to new ideas we can push the boundaries of cooking, cleaning, and wellbeing at home. But to keep doing so, we need more people who want to innovate and re-imagine what life at home can be.
In this newly created design leadership role, you will be responsible for leading the prototyping for Smart Home user experiences for the many different products we design and manufacture. Your responsibilities will span across software and hardware prototyping. You will work closely with product management, engineering, designers, and executive leadership to bring novel new consumer experiences from concept to launch. You will act as a thought leader in the Smart Home space and mentor a team of passionate and thoughtful designers.
Design Leads work hand-in-hand with product, design, and technology teams to bring intuitive products to life. They look for opportunities to connect the dots between product teams and identify key dependencies. Your core mission is to work across different connected products to surface use cases and reduce user friction, while utilizing ubiquitous connectivity and cloud computing as design materials for a new era of modern living.
As a Design Lead, Prototyping, you will be extremely knowledgeable across the various user interface modalities, technologies, tools, and disciplines and are expected to build and grow the skillsets of the more junior designers on the team.
20% - Strategy & Planning:
- Communicate with key user and operational groups to understand differing needs
- Elicit ideas and assist team members with gaining shared understanding, and align the product team and stakeholders
- Explore, prototype, and drive the UX vision for the Smart Home customer experience across modalities (mobile, web, hardware, voice, etc.)
- Push the boundaries of what it means to think big in a nascent, and fast-growing space
- Owner of our internal prototyping toolchain driving adoption, engagement, and improvements in utility
- Create and lead steering forums where necessary
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams across the Electrolux product portfolio to develop novel new experiences for our customers.
60% - Delivery & Execution:
- Build high-quality, functional prototypes that convey, prove, and advance the vision of future products and applications
- Rapidly build and iterate prototypes within visual tools, code, and electronics
- Collaborate with senior engineering managers and developers to architect and develop the best technical approach, delivering value quickly to customers
- Engage with Agile backlog breakdowns, participate in the end-to-end design process
- Advance design thinking through your knowledge of platform capabilities and limitations as you support design and engineering teams
20% - People:
- Participate in and contribute to learning activities around modern technology design and development core practices (communities of practice)
- Guide and mentor more junior team members in how to prototype more effectively
- Evangelize initiatives to a diverse audience, across business and technical teams in both ad-hoc and formal presentations.
- Contribute to the future direction of design at Electrolux within the larger Electrolux Design community
- You work in, and encourage, cross-collaboration leveraging diversity and open feedback
- You are good at communicating concepts, design and ideas to stakeholders at all levels, in different shapes depending on the context
- You understand and react to change and are capable to adapt to business and organizational needs
- You are a systems thinker by nature with an ability to zoom in and out as necessary
- 5+ years of experience as a Design/Front-End Technologist, UI Engineer, UX Prototyper, or other related role
- Coding samples in front-end programming languages
- Examples of physical+digital prototyping you’ve done; e.g., tangible computing, ubiquitous computing, tabletop computing, gestural, NUI, robotics, etc.
- Proficiency in guiding more junior team members through User Experience Prototyping fundamentals in a professional setting
- Mastery of working as part of a collaborative, cross-functional modern Advanced Design & Development team
- Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, manage tradeoffs and evaluate new ideas to remove roadblocks and keep teams moving forward
- You should have very strong front-end proficiency, be a creative problem solver, and have a keen eye for world-class UX across mobile, tablet, connected TV, and emerging devices (e.g., smart appliances, wearables, etc.)
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Stakeholder Management: Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders
- Collaboration: Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Effective Communication: Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Drive Engagement: Creating a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives
- Interpersonal Savvy: Relating openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people
- Manage Complexity: Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Optimize Work Processes: Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement
- Self-Development: Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels
- Situational Adaptability: Adapting approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations
- Master’s degree in Interaction Design, HCI, or other technology / design related area of study
Contact person: Sara Vigliotti