Electronics Applications Engineer
A person in this position will serve as electrical engineering lead for the design, development and qualification of electronic controls systems and electrical components for a new refrigerator and/or Freezer product launches. This role involves working with and coordinating a cross functional engineering team, test labs, marketing, and industrial design towards the successful implementation of the new electronics projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Participate in a team driving the design and development of refrigerator and/or freezer products managing all aspects of the electronics portion from inception through production launch
• Develop milestone schedules and maintain project status of the electronics portion of the project according to a stage gate development process
• Interface between technology domains and architectures to understand product requirements and develop specification documentation seeking to reuse existing modules where possible and/or identify what new designs are needed to support new products
• Develop and document all functional specifications necessary to implement all software and hardware components of the electronic system and related features by working with a cross-functional team of engineers
• Review and/or develop detailed engineering documentation including block diagrams, wiring diagrams, specifications, project plans, and project schedules
• Design the refrigeration product wiring harness design, according to the system components selected, manufacturability and feedback from the service organization
• Coordinate internal and external project resources to meet project deliverables
• Participate in the development of new, or enhancement of existing procedures for continual improvement in the design and development process
• Ability to analyze, problem solve, and apply best design practices to ensure successful product introduction using tools such as: toll gate development process, risk assessments, design reviews, & DFMEA’s
• Participates in cross functional team meetings and associated activities
• Participates in global team meetings and associated activities
• Participates in product builds taking place in the manufacturing facility
• Participates in system and subsystem reviews
• Review new hardware technologies available on the market & determine any benefit to refrigeration
• Bachelor’s Degree (BS) in Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree
• One year of related engineering experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
•Understanding of engineering principles, project management and new product development activities to create, design, develop and implement new features.
•Exhibits appropriate professional behavior including positive attitude, sense of urgency, independent judgment, teamwork, creative thinking, and personal integrity to achieve department/corporate goals and objectives
•Highly motivated individual that has a strong drive for results; communicates effectively both in written and verbal communication formats
•Experience with computer applications: MS Outlook, MS Excel, MS Word.
•Ability to work as an integral contributor for both domestic and international technical electronics development teams
•Ability to organize and manage personal tasks in order to effectively support multiple projects, for on time, on budget, and excellent quality release
•Experience with design, application, or manufacturing of various electronic devices and electrical components. Specific examples include printed circuit board assemblies, microcontroller based electronics, AC and DC fans, wiring harness assemblies and membrane/micro switch components.
•Experience with team management.
•Experience with refrigeration systems, consumer goods, and/or appliance industry is a plus.
•Prior roles working with safety agencies (UL, CSA, TUV, etc) is a plus.
•Understanding of design for manufacturing assembly (DFMA) principals to facilitate design integration into the manufacturing process
•Strong knowledge of electronics manufacturing processes.
•Design with Bluetooth, 802.11, RFID, and other wireless technologies.
•Experience with self and/or mutual capacitance technology.
•Experience with LED implementations for lighting.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to operate computer keyboard and telephone. Occasionally, small hand tools and rotary tools are required to evaluate design fit and finish. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to view a computer monitor as well as work safely in a manufacturing environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
This position works in a typical office environment. During certain product development phases of a project, the individual will be required to spend time on the manufacturing floor as well as in the test lab area.
This position requires extensive communication with internal departments, external customers, and external vendors. Travel to vendor, customer, and manufacturing locations is required. These locations are within the US and international. Travel during a given year is around 10% to 20%.