Global Head of Patent
Don’t let anything get in the way of a good idea.
Global Head of Group Patent
Innovation is a cornerstone of Electrolux’s operations and as such, Group Patents has an ever-increasing profile within the company and is acknowledged as being of paramount importance to the organisation’s continued commercial success. As Global Head of Group Patents, you will replace the existing incumbent who will be leaving the company at year-end after leading Group Patents for over a decade.
Reporting to the Head of R&D and Process Excellence, this is a highly integral position within the organisation, requiring an experienced and talented IP leader, who has demonstrable experience of leading a patent function within a global multinational that has undergone technical and digital transformation. Based at the company headquarters in Stockholm, the role has full responsibility for the leadership and management of Electrolux’ global patent function. As Global Head of Group Patents, you will lead a global team of approximately 30 individuals based in Sweden, Italy, Germany and Brazil. You will play an active part in defining the company’s product development patent portfolio strategy though the identification of strategically significant inventions.
Moreover, you will lead Group Patents through an exciting period of change within Electrolux, as a result of the ever-changing competitor landscape, necessitating, inter alia, additional and increased licensing activities and greater collaboration with the Legal department. The candidate will be joining a company, which is constantly evolving, which in turn recognises the need for an inspirational business minded leader to effect the necessary transformation.
You will support the organisation in all patent related matters, with the opportunity to shape and drive patent strategy on a global basis. As the head of Group Patents, the individual also has full leadership responsibility as well as the responsibility to independently handle all HR, forecasting and business planning matters associated with the Global Head position. The individual will act as an advisor to the Electrolux organisation in patent matters, many of which are complex and of a global nature.
REGULAR DAY AT WORK
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Developing and maintaining a forward-thinking patent strategy, along with the creation and maintenance of a business relevant patent portfolio in close collaboration with, inter alia, R&D and business units.
• Handling patent matters independently and assuming full responsibility in relation to top management as well as other relevant managers throughout the business organisation.
• Management responsibility for the Group Patents function globally.
• Proactively increasing the value and awareness of IP within the company and providing internal IP training at higher level to the organisation.
• In collaboration with the business, negotiating and drafting patent and technology license agreements.
• As required, acting as project leader of large and complex patent driven projects.
• Active engagement in leading and driving the development of the organisation focusing on continuous improvements and drive change throughout the business organisation.
• Supporting litigation and supervision of external advisors in matters requiring external specialist support.
• Develop an excellent working relationship with IP-legal functions in order to drive matters collaboratively
• Further develop the digital tools within the function and together with the internal partners.
• Develop the organisation and processes for increased Group efficiency & transparency.
This role is a rare and outstanding opportunity for an accomplished and world class leader in the patent field. Promising excellent long-term career prospects within a leading multinational corporation, the appointee will contribute significantly to the operational and commercial strategies of one of the largest consumer goods companies globally.
This appointment is open to suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race or any other consideration. Electrolux is an equal opportunities employer.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Possess significant experience in Intellectual Property rights i.e. patents, coupled with experience working in an international corporate environment.
• Strong background and 10+ years’ experience in a leadership position.
• Qualification as a European or US Patent Attorney.
• Education to MSc level or beyond in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or a related field.
• Previous professional experience within an organisation going through change management.
• Possess excellent leadership and organisational skills with the ability to instil confidence and trust in others and thus enhance and sustain the performance of his/her team.
• Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate comfortably at all levels within the organisation.
• Possess significant experience in negotiating and drafting patent & technology license agreements.
• Proven experience of being able to adapt flexibly to new market requirements, develop new approaches and shape processes.
• Possess extensive experience of providing IP advice to senior and top management.
• Business understanding and a strategic mindset.
• Experience from industry with fully worked through IP strategies
• An ability to drive strategy, build effective relationships, and motivate and retain staff.
• Be flexible, adaptable and comfortable working in a multi-cultural, success-orientated company, which possesses excellent standards of ethics and behaviour.
• Be highly motivated and achievement oriented, with the ability to work autonomously, and pro-actively organise a challenging workload.
• Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
• Proven ability to work towards high-level objectives where neither tasks nor ways of fulfilling the objectives or how to solve the matters are defined.
• Actively identifies, drives and delivers improvements and change in a high pace environment.
• Fluency in English. Additional fluency in Swedish would be considered a plus.
Contact person: Chris Murray