The manufacturing engineer is responsible for developing
and implementing optimal, cost-effective manufacturing processes and methods
in accordance with product specifications and quality standards of the
department as well as ownership and up time of said equipment. Recommends and
implements improvements to production processes, cycle times, methods and
controls. Coordinates manufacturing launch for new or revised products.
Oversees automated equipment installation, maintenance and upkeep. Machinery to include plastics extrusion
equipment, vacuum thermoforming equipment, PLC integrated continuous forming
equipment, conveyor systems, silo and rail raw material piping delivery
systems and material handling devices (cranes, conveyors, turntables,
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (What you will do)
- Prepares specifications and quotations for labor, tooling and equipment to support the business unit requirements.
- Participates in concurrent engineering design reviews and evaluates and approves drawings, routings, specifications and other documents.
- Designs and procures tools/equipment and writes appropriation requests.
- Evaluates and solves production problems associated with equipment, maintenance, and/or manufacturing methods. Implements root cause analysis and engages manufacturing associates and maintenance technicians in problem solving methods.
- Works closely with maintenance and manufacturing associates on a daily basis and conducts training to introduce new processes.
- Responsible to apply all the requirements related to EMS, ISO9000/14000 requirements according to the position.
- Among responsibilities the following environmental information is included, designated but not limited to: Knowledge and comprehension of the plant’s environmental policy, including the established environmental goals, knowing and identifying the environmental aspects and impacts on the area or process to perform, focusing on continuous improvement and keeping operational goals, identifying and segregating chemical residues and materials.
- The activities to be carried out include the following environmental information, indicated but not limited to: Knowledge and understanding of the environmental policy of the plant, which must follow and promote, including established environmental goals as well as knowledge and identification of environmental aspects and impacts of activities in its area or process, the approach to continuous improvement , maintaining the required operational controls, proper handling, identification and segregation of chemical materials and waste.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Industrial or Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Bilingual English – Spanish
- The unique ability to work directly with manufacturing and maintenance associates for problem solving, buy-in and support of new processes. Prior management of manufacturing maintenance personnel required.
- Must have knowledge of PM systems and general maintenance policies and procedures as they relate to a heavy manufacturing environment.
- Significant experience in motor and PLC controls and programming.
- Technical skills in manufacturing processes and methods including flow, layout, production equipment and tooling specification and capital improvement costing and proposals.
- Computer proficiency required. The ability to organize and manage multiple priorities with experience in problem (root cause) analysis and problem resolution skills.
- Experience in equipment used in the extrusion of sheet plastic and then formed using a vacuum forming (thermoforming) process including robotic cutting equipment. Knowledge of HIPS or High Impact Polystyrene desirous.
- Knowledge of mold design and changeover processes for thermoforming equipment.
- Experience in development of preventative and predictive maintenance schedules to insure continuous uptime of equipment in area of responsibility.
- Significant experience and understanding of PLC and motor controls in a continuous process system.
- Ability to lead maintenance technicians in area of responsibility and work closely with engineers in other departments to solve problems and continuously improve processes, reduce scrap and improve cycle times of equipment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS (update as needed)
Divides time between factory environment and office. Exposed to industrial settings and will occasionally be required to assist in physical work.