Apply engineering concepts to optimize equipment, procedures, and departmental budgets to achieve better maintainability, reliability, and availability of equipment. The Maintenance Engineer will champion 1-3yr improvement plans for equipment while supporting operations and implementing countermeasures to chronic problems. Identify and implement solutions to eliminate variation within operations and MRO expenditures. This position will lead and direct a maintenance team to complete projects and repairs on time while ensuring safety procedures compliance.
KEY OPERATIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for performing a variety of engineering duties related to the planning and optimization of equipment and control systems. Identify and implement improvement activities that result in reduced MRO cost and increased equipment uptime in a high speed/high volume manufacturing facility.
- Coordinates repairs and refurbishments within approved budgetary guidelines.
- Develop equipment performance requirements for the facility and implement management system to ensure achievement. Perform vendor searches and equipment evaluation to ensure adequate capability to support production demand.
- Attend process review and safety/ergonomic buyoff meetings for new equipment and support budget development as applicable.
- Function as a true change agent to bring about cultural and physical change resulting in long term improvement for the maintenance organization.
- Analyze chronic equipment failures with the intent of implementing technical solutions that prevent reoccurrence.
- Generates capital investment request (IR's) required for refurbishment and new equipment. Manage and control expenditures to ensure compliance with timing and budget requirements.
- Champion new technology and predictive tools to improve overall operations (reduce cost, increase MTBF and decrease MTTR).
- Ability to read/understand logic and flow diagrams for program design, programming, simulation and testing, and start-up.
- Work with manufacturing leaders to identify improvements with current equipment and data systems. Develop detailed project scopes and project plans to implement improvements into the manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge and ability to troubleshoot and industrial control systems including electrical, electronic, motor control center, hydraulic, pneumatic, mechanical and temperature controls.
- Coordinate with management to ensure that proper operating procedures are carried out and to avoid system malfunctions through dedicated maintenance programs.
- Creates detailed task lists, resource requirements and timelines; audits, maintains, and reports progress on a regular basis.
- Implement the activities of the maintenance organization in the relevant field (electronic, mechanical, etc.) including assisting with procurement of parts, equipment and tools.
- Ensure immediate maintenance intervention to solve any maintenance issues in the relevant field and follow up actions necessary.
- Ensure daily preventive maintenance activities are performed.
- Support all lean (EMS) plan and activities affecting the relevant maintenance area.
- Support the facility management for the relevant area.
- Provide daily shift activities, issues and resolution, emerging issues and concerns reporting.
- Communicate, coordinate and cooperate with operations, planners and engineering to maximize efficient productivity.
- Administer time and attendance for all direct reports using the Kronos time management system.
- Ensure direct reports are paid correctly and in a timely manner.
- Maintain effective employee relations including coaching, motivation and corrective actions; ensure compliance with company policies/procedures and legal guidelines; foster a positive workplace environment.
- Focus on technical development of the maintenance team to include skills, communication, and teamwork.
- Ensure adherence to safety rules and standards and maintain good housekeeping.
- Be available prior and after shift to ensure a timely shift transition.
- Maintain continual efforts consistent with minimizing scrap, rework, and controlling costs of expendables and product.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Electrical or Mechanical).
- Minimum 3 years engineering, 2 years supervision experience working in a manufacturing environment with skilled trades and operations.
- Strong computer skills particularly Microsoft Office applications and CAD.
- Strong communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of PLCs and ability to troubleshoot.
- Familiar with HMIs and ability to use HMIs.
- Knowledge and familiar working with CMMS programs.
- Familiar with VFDs and ability to troubleshoot.
- Knowledge of electrical, mechanical, hydraulic and controls systems.
- Familiar with robotics.
- Knowledge and demonstrated abilities in Problem Solving, Waste Elimination, Autonomous Maintenance, Predictive Tools and Programs and OEE.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Excellent verbal and written communications.
- Exceptional Problem-Solving Skills.
- Strong aptitude for details.
- Mature thinking and professional presentation with common sense and judgment in a broad business perspective.
- Proven presence that commands the respect and trust of customers and employees at all levels with the organization.
- Highly intelligent, perceptive individual who possesses excellent conceptual, analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Project Management (Scope Development, Budgeting skills, Risk Management, etc.)
- Possess the flexibility in reacting to new situations and adaptability for working in a new environment.
- Strong results orientation and positive "can do" attitude with a sense of urgency to get things done.
- Self-starter; a "hands-on" individual who enjoys challenge and is dedicated to getting the job done with minimal support and direction.
- Collaborative leader and team player.
- Ability to listen, capture and translate inputs and new challenges coming from consumers and colleagues interfacing them in the market.
- Characterized by integrity and high professional standards.
- Ability to influence people who are direct and non-direct reports.
- Demonstrated excellence in communication skills for negotiating, presenting and resolving complex and controversial issues and responding effectively to sensitive inquiries and complaints.
- Strong ability to work effectively within time constraints, changing priorities, and independently.
- Strong Continuous Improvement mindset.
- Experience with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS).
- Ability to work different shifts and flexible hours to support improvement activities.