extensive Materials Engineering experience in a new product development setting
to improve quality, reduce material and processing costs, and promote
innovation. Use knowledge of the
properties and structures of metals, ceramics, plastics, composites, and other
substances to research, evaluate and recommend new materials that meet certain
mechanical, electrical, and chemical requirements to product engineering and
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Research emerging materials, and evaluate application to refrigerator and/or freezer products, prepare proposals, write reports, and perform other documentation control tasks
- Determine causes of product failure in laboratory and field settings and develop ways of overcoming such failure using material science
- Consult on computer simulations (FEA) to replicate the characteristics of materials
- Participate in NPD or VA/VE projects, consulting with other engineers and managers as necessary
- Perform material qualification activities using company engineering standards; Create/update engineering standards and specifications as necessary
- Establish test plans and procedures, perform or direct testing using in-house or contracted resources, write technical reports to communicate compliance with company standards
- Conduct audits, verify and document evidence of material compliance and non-compliance per company standards
Bachelor’s Degree (BS) in Materials Science, Metallurgy or Chemical Engineering is required
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Experience specifying and recommending materials that enhance product value and quality to engineering and purchasing groups.
- Knowledge of physical and chemical materials testing protocol and related equipment.
- Experience creating material specifications and applicable testing protocol and report formats.
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively tailor and communicate engineering concepts to all levels of an organization who may or may not have a technical background.
- PC skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and other technical software).
- Understanding of design for manufacturing assembly (DFMA) principals to facilitate design integration into the manufacturing process.
- Understanding of engineering principles, project management and new product development activities to create, design, develop and implement new features for refrigeration group.
- Exhibit appropriate professional behavior including positive attitude, sense of urgency, independent judgment, teamwork, creative thinking, and personal integrity to achieve department/corporate goals and objectives.
- Highly motivated individual that has a strong drive for results.
- Ability to work as an integral, contributing leader of both domestic and international technical development teams.
- Ability to organize and manage personal tasks in order to effectively support multiple projects, for on time, on budget, and excellent quality release.
- Minimum of 3 years related engineering and/or project management experience
- Experience creating material reference guides for use by engineers and designers to improve product performance, processing, and fit, feel, finish.
- Knowledge of plastic materials molding/extruding processing
- Significant knowledge of coatings/paints, surface treatment, and processing chemicals is desired
- Experience correlating materials performance between prototype (lab) and production desired.
- Experience with tools associated with new project development activities including toll gate development processes, design reviews, project planning, part tracking and milestone schedule management.
- Experience with team management.
- Experience with refrigeration systems, consumer goods, and/or appliance industry is a plus.
- Knowledge of polyurethane foam processing in application preferred.
- Direct experience with problem analysis and root cause investigation.
performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use
hands to operate computer keyboard and telephone. Occasionally, small hand tools and rotary
tools are required to evaluate design fit and finish. Specific vision abilities required by this
job include the ability to view a computer monitor as well as work safely in a
manufacturing environment. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions of the job.
position works in a typical office environment. During certain product development phases of a project, the individual
will be required to spend time on the manufacturing floor as well as in the
test lab area.
This position requires extensive communication with internal departments, external customers, and external vendors. Travel to vendor, customer, and manufacturing locations is required. These locations are within the US and international. Travel during a given year is around 10%.