Plant EHS & Operations Sustainability Director
JOB TITLE: PLANT EHS
& OPERATIONS SUSTAINABILITY DIRECTOR
REPORTING TO: PLANT MANAGER
The Plant EHS
and Operations Sustainability Director is responsible for directing the
development, implementation, and maintenance of comprehensive environmental,
safety, health and sustainability programs for the facility. This critical role
leads the implementation of Plant EHS and Sustainability Strategy to achieve
global and plant level goals for safety, health, energy productivity and
climate neutral manufacturing. This position directs a large Site team
including Environmental, Health, Safety and Sustainability professionals.
This position reports directly to the Plant Manager and functionally to the NA EHS & Operations Sustainability Director.
KEY OPERATIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide leadership for EHS and Sustainability programs in a fast paced, cross functional and highly collaborative environment.
- Prioritize initiatives and resources to maximize effectiveness.
- Interact with leadership to understand EHS needs to support business growth.
- Utilize Lean tools and principles (Kaizen, Gemba, RCCM, etc.) to drive Continuous Improvement of EHS and Sustainability programs.
- Maintain management system certifications and reinforce and sustain a safety-first culture through involvement and innovation with site leadership and operational teams.
- Implement and maintain all necessary EHS regulatory requirements applicable to the site. Act as primary point of contact to regulatory agency / government authorities.
- Develop and improve EHS programs and processes to meet the changing needs of the business.
- Oversee the administration of company compliance with regulatory permits. Prepare applications, interpret regulations and adapt written programs as necessary.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to solve EHS and Sustainability related challenges.
- Develop and execute strategy to systematically control and reduce safety hazards and risk of injury or chemical release.
- Lead the Green Spirit program and all supporting sustainability initiatives and projects to consume less energy, water and waste and ultimate emit less CO2 to achieve Site neutrality by 2030.
- Establish safety committees, emergency response teams, and otherwise engage employees to achieve EHS/Sustainability goals.
- Manage EHS training program strategy, content and deployment. Including targeted training metrics and effectiveness analysis using digital solutions
- Manage Operations Sustainability budget and identify opportunities and actions for savings.
- Conduct site audits for compliance with company EHS and Sustainability standards
- Review the procurement of chemicals, biologics, equipment and other materials purchased for production, engineering, and R&D to ensure hazards are controlled and regulatory requirements are met.
- Have knowledge of process safety requirements for controls support of two covered chemicals on-site.
- Bachelor's degree required in an environmental, safety, or engineering discipline with an advance degree preferred
- A minimum of twelve (12) years of environmental, health, and safety experience required with a majority in manufacturing
- Must have knowledge and extended experience with management systems including ISO 14001, ISO 50001, and ISO 45001
- Must have a knowledge of sustainability principles
- Must have thorough knowledge of federal and local EHS regulations, including OSHA and EPA.
- A minimum of 5 years supervisory experience required
- Professional designation of CSP or CIH preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required including the ability to interact with all levels of team members and outside agencies
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Must have a continuous improvement mindset and excel at leading teams