Product Development Engineer
Responsible for the design & development of
existing mechanical and/or electronic product components and creation &
validation of new components. Additionally,
analyses technical solutions with suppliers, factory and other functions. Works semi-autonomously, following
established procedures and guidelines to contribute to improvement. This
involves working with a creative, collaborative team of engineering and design
professionals, test labs, marketing, industrial design, and sales towards the
successful launch of new consumer products. Development is within a fast-paced environment with superior engineering
and design culture using top-of-the-line development tools, state-of-the-art
testing and prototyping facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop technical solutions of a project through product lifecycle, including: scoping, designing from concept to production using Catia V5 software, creating functional prototypes, testing and design verification, introduction to the market and post launch value engineering plans.
- Provides support during a project to create the technical product documentation following the Electrolux Project Management process, that are required for project execution, such as technical specifications, test plans (DVR), DFMEA, DFM/DFA, etc.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of product concepts and ideas from customers and marketing into executable product requirements.
- Ensures the timely preparation and execution of engineering project documentation (ECN’s, BOM’s, DVR plans and results, drawings, and specifications).
- Follow a standard engineering workflow, with milestones, and specific deliverables to be complimented with an innovative, continuous improvement spirit and obsession for exceeding customer expectations.
- Investigate and prescribe optimized materials and manufacturing processes for a given component and sub-systems. Look beyond current material and manufacturing standards, and integrate outside industry best practices and manufacturing innovation into the development.
- Apply critical thinking to understand depth of design and to predict why, when, and how designs fail.
- Effective contribution in collaborative sessions within and outside technical domain to gather information and vet technical opportunities, consumer needs, and optimized design.
- Generate novel technical innovation that can be used to gain competitive advantage.
Degree (BS) in Mechanical Engineering or a related technical field or an AS Degree
and up to 3 years of related experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Proficiency with CAD software is mandatory, Catia V5 (preferred) or similar. Must be capable of creating mechanical components, assemblies and drawings from concept up to final release.
- Ability to design for automated metal forming (Stamping, roll-forming, etc.), plastic injection molding, thermoforming, and extrusion. Experience developing rigid polyurethane foam structures a plus.
- Ability to generate engineering and aesthetic specifications, and generation of test procedures to verify specifications are met.
- Demonstrated ability to design mechanical structures, including components and systems that are consumer facing to prescribed engineering and aesthetic specifications.
- Ability to design for automated manufacturing, ergonomic considerations, and error proofing.
- Strong understanding of engineering principles, developing mechanical models, interpreting test data, and model simulation and validation.
- Demonstrated innovation for competitive advantage, through intellectual property submission, publication, and issued patents.
- Ability to align engineering and marketing objectives, with those of the business unit to maintain continuous flow of sustainable, innovative, high quality products.
- Communication skills to serve as an agent of collaborative innovation, and quality improvement.
While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is regularly required to use hands to operate computer keyboard and telephone. Occasionally, small hand tools and rotary
tools are required to evaluate design fit and finish. The employee must occasionally lift and/or
move up to 25 pounds. The employee may
occasionally move or assist with the moving of fully built refrigerators via
hand trucks or by rolling along the ground. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to
view a computer monitor as well as work safely in a manufacturing
environment. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions of the job.
This position works in a variety of product
development environments. Laboratory and
prototyping facilities are used daily in supporting development, as is a high
volume manufacturing floor for design and process reference. During certain product development phases of
a project, the individual will be required to support product builds in a
manufacturing environment. Manufacturing
areas can be in Anderson, SC, Juarez, Mexico and Rayong, Thailand.
This position requires extensive communication with internal departments, external customers and vendors, and our global partners in product development. Travel to vendor, customer, and manufacturing locations is required. These locations are within the US and international. Travel during a given year is around 15% on average.