Senior Development Engineer - Ice and Water
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the design and development of refrigeration ice making, storing and dispensing systems & water dispensing systems and/or sub-assemblies related to ice and water features across multiple product architectures.
- Work directly with a creative, collaborative team of engineering and design professionals, test labs, marketing staff, industrial design, and sales towards the successful launch of new consumer products.
- Perform research of refrigerator direct cooling ice maker related patents and submit new design solutions and their patent application.
- Generate new direct cooling ice maker design concept utilizing the known failure modes and previous ice maker development experience.
- Use Computer Aided Design (CAD) software CATIA V5 & product lifecycle management tool TEAMCENTER to design, optimize and mange related ice making system, ice dispensing system, cooling system, water fill system.
- Develop the ice maker gearbox with the supplier that includes stepper motor, thermostat, and cam shaft mechanism with a switch to detect ice level and home position.
- Design injection molding, die casting, tube forming, blow molding, thermal forming, and sheet metal stamping parts. Involved with the design/development and manufacturing of electro-mechanical components and systems.
- Coordinate with vendor and manufacturing team to build lab test and field test refrigerators for testing and design verification.
- Conduct tests for refrigerator prototypes to optimize operation sequence and control parameters of the ice maker system including stages of ice making, check ice level, harvest, defrost, full bucket mode etc.
- Use tools associated with new product development including Design for manufacturing (DFM), Design Failure Modes and Effect Analysis (DFMEA), and Tolerance Stack-up Analysis.
- Lead stage-gate process, parts tracking, project planning, schedule management, and design reviews.
- Establish System Input/Output, Technical specification, Bill of material (BOM), Test plan, and System software control logic.
- Perform research of water dispensing aiming/lighting technology and create new design solutions. Build mock up prototype with lighted water and laser aiming function.
- Support other development of ice making, ice and water dispensing systems, and other features related to ice and water across multiple refrigeration product architectures.
- Candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum 18 months’ experience in the appliance industry.
- Must have: knowledge of and experience with design/development and manufacturing of electro-mechanical components and systems; knowledge of and experience in product development processes; experience with refrigeration systems, along with ice making, storing, and dispensing systems; experience and understanding of injection molded, blow molded and thermal-formed part design and manufacturing; experience with the tools associated with new project development activities including stage gate development processes, DFMEA, design reviews, project planning, part tracking, and milestone schedule management; experience with 3D CAD systems.