Senior Payroll Specialist
Performs a wide variety of record keeping and payroll processing activities, including computing wage and overtime payments, calculating and recording payroll deductions, processing special requests and processing terminations. Duties include balancing and controlling earnings and deduction totals, inspecting automated system output such as registers and standard reports, determining and correcting out-of-balance conditions, calculating military and jury duty pay, and processing garnishments and levies. Works under general supervision. May train less experienced payroll specialists and direct their daily work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- All daily activities relating to the payroll process, which includes the auditing and processing of payroll adjustments, manual checks, voids, reissues, stop payments, direct deposit, and termination checks.
- Manage workflow to ensure all time and attendance and payroll transactions are processed timely and accurately
- Manage garnishment administration including deduction setup and review of vendor remittances and returns.
- Ensure tax compliance in all jurisdictions
- Ensure compliance with Federal, State wage and hour laws
- Create procedural documents for the payroll team
- Process off-cycle check payments according to company policy and federal and state regulations
- Research and verify discrepancies to assist other functional areas within the company
- Assist with special projects and ad hoc reports when needed
- Assist employees and management with questions, concerns or requests regarding payroll
- Perform other job-related duties, as assigned
- Minimum of 5 years OF experience processing multi-state payrolls
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation preferred.
- Experience with UltiPro or other SaaS preferred.
- PC skills including proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Excellent mathematical and communication skills
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Thorough understanding of multi-state tax laws and Wage and Hour laws and regulations
- Ability to accomplish results within a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with professionalism
- Unquestionable ethics and integrity
- Reliable and strong worth ethic
- Ability to reason through data findings and use good judgment in making recommendations with minimal guidance
- Ability to determine priorities and organize work
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- “Can do” spirit with proactive mindset
- Excellent communications skills (verbal and written
- Strong customer service mindset
- High attention to detail
- Some general ledger accounting experience preferred