Senior R&D Project Engineer
A person in this position is responsible for the technical development and implementation of Global Single door and Top Freezer products into the global marketplace. Must coordinate cross functional team among R&D and lead all core design activities. This include reliability testing and agency certification activities as well as serve as a technical leader in projects culminating in products built to Electrolux Global standards being introduced into multiple business areas. Must be capable of working autonomously while maintaining timely communications between global and local R&D design teams as well as Senior Management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the Global and Local R&D teams with the development of technical solutions throughout the product development cycle including scoping and designing from concept to production.
Architecture owner in for the designated Platform:
-To help defines new Architectures / Module variant requirements.
-To governs the architecture structure and number of architectures.
-Develop plans for the reduction of complexity.
- Support harmonization of modular design methodology between Global & Local R&D teams.
- Interface with the Office of Project Management to effectively coordinate activities between R&D, Manufacturing/Operation, Purchasing and Product Line.
- Collaborate with Quality Department on preparation, distribution, monitoring, and analyses of field trial units.
- Provide support during a project to create the technical product documentation (following the Electrolux Project Management process) that is required for project execution and check points gates. These include items such as technical specifications, test plans (DVR), DFMEA, DFM/DFA&A, etc.
- Take part in the development of product concepts and ideas from customers and marketing into executable product requirements.
- Ensure the timely preparation and execution of engineering project documentation (ECN’s, BOM’s, DVR plans and results).
- Coordinate and guide members of third-party partners and ensuring the knowledge is transferred to allow the execution of the activities concerned to the third party.
- Coordinate and guide less experienced colleagues in the preparation of harmonized codependent designs.
- Organize design team efforts to ensure cohesive application of a formal product development process.
- Apply critical thinking to understand depth of design and to predict why, when, and how designs fail.
- Effectively contribute to collaborative sessions within and outside technical domain to gather information and vet technical opportunities, consumer needs, and optimized designs.
- Bachelor’s Degree (BS) in Mechanical Engineering or a related technical field with a minimum of 5+ years of experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Proficiency with CAD software is highly desirable, Catia V5 (preferred) or similar.
- Must be capable of reviewing mechanical components, assemblies, and drawings from concept up to final release.
- Experience with designing for automated metal forming (Stamping, roll-forming, etc.), plastic injection molding, thermoforming, and extrusion preferred
- Experience developing rigid polyurethane foam structures a plus.
- Ability to generate engineering and aesthetic specifications, and generation of test procedures to verify specifications are met.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and analyze mechanical structures, including components and systems that are consumer facing to prescribed engineering and aesthetic specifications.
- Strong understanding of engineering principles, developing mechanical models, interpreting test data, and model simulation and validation.
- Demonstrated innovation for competitive advantage, through intellectual property submission, publication, and issued patents.
- Ability to align engineering and marketing objectives, with those of the business unit to maintain continuous flow of sustainable, innovative, high quality products.
- Communication skills to serve as an agent of collaborative innovation, and quality improvement.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to operate computer keyboard and telephone. Occasionally, small hand tools and rotary tools are required to evaluate design fit and finish. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee may occasionally be involved and/or coordinate benchmarking and teardowns activities since planning until execution and data elaboration. The employee may occasionally move or assist with the moving of fully built refrigerators via hand trucks or by rolling along the ground. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to view a computer monitor as well as work safely in a manufacturing environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
This position works in a variety of product development environments. Laboratory and prototyping facilities are used daily in supporting development, as is a high-volume manufacturing floor for design and process reference. During certain product development phases, the individual will be required to support product builds in a manufacturing environment. Manufacturing areas can be in Anderson, SC, Juarez, Mexico and Rayong, Thailand among others.
This position requires extensive communication with internal departments, external customers and vendors, and our global partners in product development. Travel to vendor, customer, and manufacturing locations is required. These locations are within the US and international. Travel during a given year is approximately 15% on average.